Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Longing for Light

We wait in darkness.

This is the time of year when I wake up and it's dark...and I leave work, and it's dark! Sunlight is hard to come by, as grey clouds, rain, sleet, and snow dominate the weather.

But the season also brings light...twinkle lights, Christmas trees, candles, Advent wreaths, menorahs, solstice! The light is coming back to us. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

What will that light bring?

This Advent, I don't want the light to simply dispel the darkness, I want the light to shine in the hidden nooks and crannies. I want the light to reveal things I've forgotten. And things I never knew. The light is about revelation...it's about illuminating the deepest and best parts of ourselves.

This, of course, is scary. Marianne Williamson said that it is our LIGHT, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Why? Why are we afraid to be our best, most authentic, genuine, true selves? I guess it's like standing on the street corner naked. Here I am, World. Judge me. Criticize me. Take your best shot. Compliment me. (Why is that last one the hardest to take?) But then I think of the people and things I have gained from being brave enough to be that best, most authentic, genuine, true me. I'll never understand why I made the very-unlike-me leap to join a writing group where I knew no one. To write and read new work to a group of strangers when no one had ever read or heard my writing before. But the decision changed my life in some of the most amazing ways.

So let's let the light come. One candle, one corner at a time.

either way, there is a light on,
either way, we're turning towards the sun!
--n. nields

No comments:

Post a Comment