Friday, February 19, 2010

essay brainstorming

I want to go back to school. I need to go back to school really--I have a great toolbox of tricks and, well, tools to get 2nd graders to read, or wrap their minds around double-digit subtraction. And I have a good beginner's toolbelt of ideas and activities to explore faith with teenagers. But I am in need of more...and so I look at grad programs. The essay questions are fairly standard--and open-ended!

State your occupational and vocational goals as specifically as possible. Then state briefly how you hope to relate your experience at the Graduate School to your goals (2-3 pages).


Right. Vocational goals. When I applied for my current job last year, I wrote in my cover letter that working with teenagers was not something I sought out. It is a vocation that found me, and it is a calling that challenges me every day. The transitions from child to teenager to young adult are so crucial--and they happen so fast. There are so many questions and so many uncertainties and so many decisions. I want to be a resource, a safe space, someone who both holds them accountable and allows them to make mistakes. I know grad school won't do this for me. Experience will do this for me. But I have all these pieces, little bits of knowledge here and there, and I want to pull them together. I want to dive into books, but more than that, I want to dive into discussions, to hear what other people know. The thought of sitting in class with people who are on a similar journey is exciting to me.

This could be a career and a vocation that sticks. I get to teach, I get to laugh, I get to sit in the back of the room in awe of these young women who are so brave and so smart and so open. They're the reason I want to get better at this. Even on my most frustrating day, I want to be my best because they deserve it.

3 comments:

  1. let me know if you want me to read drafts once you get to that point...i've applied to grad school far too many times...but i'm good at it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you need 2 - 3 pages. I think you've got your application essay right there in your third paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. D, I'll probably take you up on that!

    K, thanks for stopping by! You're right...that's the jumping off point for sure. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete