Monday, February 22, 2010

writing and time

I have another writing commitment tonight. I need to write SOMETHING to submit for my writing teleclass, my virtual version of my beloved Monday nights in the Pioneer Valley. And this can't be it. I mean, I suppose it *could* be it, but I have a plan, so I need to go put the fingers to the keys and do that. I've had time tonight, but I watched the Olympics and fooled around on the internet and sent emails and talked to my friend in LA about her new job. But they ate away at time I needed to spend on writing, on grading, on preparing for tomorrow.

One more thing for today--I'm taking over a colleague's courseload this week while she deals with a family emergency. I'm teaching 9th and 10th graders (after primarily dealing with seniors all year) and...I love it! Who could have guessed that I'd love teaching teenagers?! But there I was, reviewing the stories of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Joseph with the 9th graders, talking about the wacky ways of the Old Testament. ("My wife is barren. My family is promised descendants as numerous as the stars. I will sire a child with my wife's servant!!" Two years later, "Crap! My barren wife is pregnant. Maybe God meant for me to be patient.") My days will be extra crazy, but I forgot the high I get from being in the classroom.

And so off I go to write a character sketch of one of my current mentors on this adventure in high school campus ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment