Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Venite Adoremus

I love Christmas music. It's hard to narrow down the list, but near the top, if not at the top, is Adeste Fideles. Don't get me wrong, I love O Come, All Ye Faithful. But I remember learning the Latin when I was 7 years old. I remember the choir director teaching us to say "benite" even though the word started with a V. It is a beautiful, beautiful song, with such beautiful, beautiful words and meaning: joyful, faithful, triumphant, behold, adore...

...venite adoremus...

Let us adore Him...

I love that word. Adore. I have a dear friend who uses it from time to time. It is somehow bigger than love. It is to gaze upon with love, affection, understanding, acceptance; to see and to recognize the divine within.

Who do you adore? Who do you look at and simply see into their divine selves? Do they know it?

No comments:

Post a Comment