Thursday, March 17, 2011

10 years

10 years ago today, St. Patrick's Day 2001, I woke up to the news that my dear friend Tim's brother had been killed in an early morning car accident. I didn't know Chris, but over the next few days, I began to learn about him. The following quote is his "statement of life aspirations," written when he was just 17 or 18 years old. It resonated with me then and now, 10 years later, it remains true for me. I try my best to live it--for me and for him.

to touch the life of a person, to help them see the world in a better light, to enable them to live a fuller, more productive life; i would like to do something like this. i am searching for a profession that will enable me to inspire, to help, to enlighten, to leave my mark on the human race. i will live a full and vibrant life, doing whatever i see fit, not conforming, not rejecting...my life will belong to me and it will be great not for the fame and fortune i receive, but for the lives i help change an the happiness i achieve. ~christopher a. hoppe (may 4, 1981-march 17, 2001)

No comments:

Post a Comment