Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ashes

This morning, I found myself wandering an unfamiliar area of the Bronx as I visited 3 seniors at their service sites. I was unsure of my surroundings, unsure of my path. As I walked from the subway to the first daycare center, half the foreheads I passed bore the dark smudge of Ash Wednesday. We were different in countless ways, but there was an immediate kinship, a mark that made us one. One as sinners, one as repenters, one as faithful people on a journey back to God.

I am committing to be here every day during the season of Lent (thanks again to D for the inspiration). I want to try to make the time, create the time and the sacred space, to reflect and grow on this Lenten journey. I think of all that has changed since this time last year--the people I have lost, the experiences I gained, the decisions I've made, the good news that lies ahead...it is overwhelming. It is a year that asked me to go deeper, and for that I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment