Friday, March 11, 2011

skiing

This weekend, I am away with friends and friends-of-friends. We will ski tomorrow and Sunday. I love skiing. I'd forgotten how much I love skiing until I went to a tiny little hill outside NYC 2 weeks ago with my cousin. It was my first time on skis in about 10 years. It was like riding a bike. My body remembered--my hips, my knees, my ankles...I shifted my weight to turn and to stop. It's like flying. I'd forgotten. Forgotten that I love this activity so much that even falling 30' out of a chair lift and snapping my arm in half couldn't keep me from doing it again. Forgotten the feeling of frozen cheeks and toes as you wait in line for the lift. Forgotten the lightness in my stomach and my heart as I cruise down the hill.

Forgotten the breath-taking beauty when you stand at the top of the mountain and behold the creation that surrounds you, blanketed in a soft white powder. What a way to rejoice in God's creation.

I will try to be more seasonally appropriate in my reflection tomorrow, but for tonight? I dream of flying.

No comments:

Post a Comment