Sunday, March 13, 2011

Saturday's blog

Didn't get to the computer last night, so I owe two blog posts for today.

Today's Gospel reading tells the story of the temptation of Jesus in the desert. Temptation is an interesting concept. The devil/Satan/The Dark Prince doesn't actually show up in our lives as a living, breathing, talking being like he does in this story. Our temptations are more subtle.

We had an interesting talk around the breakfast table this morning before we all headed home from our ski weekend. Topic: technology. Is it good? Is it bad? Has it made us ADD? Is multi-tasking a curse or a blessing?

I'm not sure I have the answers to any of those questions. I don't think anyone else does either. What I do know is that the temptation of technology--be it media, email, texting, facebook, or a combination of those things--sometimes makes me less-than-present. I am not as focused on the tasks at hand sometimes, unable to give something (or someone) my full attention. And though I'm aware and conscious of this tendency, I have had a hard time figuring out how to change it. Camp last summer was great. I was TOTALLY present all day long. Our cell phones didn't work on site, and there was no time to look at a computer during the day...and I didn't miss them. I spent my days focused on the kids, focused on fun, focused on the people who filled my days.

It is a challenge for me--to be present. And maybe another thing I can take on as we enter this first full week of Lent--to be more present. The distractions are many and my mind likes distractions, but you can't do 5 things at the same time and expect to do any of them well.

Jesus turned away from temptation and turned towards God. He chose to trust God and the plan God had for Him. He knew that these temptations couldn't offer Him anything more than what God had in store.

Hopefully I can trust that what is in front of me is what I should be doing...and also trust MYSELF that I can do things well with focus and attention. I owe myself and the people around me my presence.


No comments:

Post a Comment