Saturday, March 6, 2010

listen

Listen to the MUSTN'T, child,
Listen to the DON'Ts
Listen to the SHOULDN'Ts
The IMPOSSIBLES,
the WON'Ts
Listen to the NEVER HAVEs
Then listen close to me--
Anything can happen, child,
ANYTHING can be.
--Shel Silverstein

I love this poem. It is a tall order...anything can happen, child, anything can be. This is wisdom and truth that I find challenging to accept for myself. For my friends? My family? My students? For them, this is my message...and I mean it. I'm not as good at letting this advice settle in my own heart and mind.

But it is true. In the face of doubt, difficulties and frustrations, there is a voice that says, Go for it. You can do it. Try.

It has become a running theme here on this blog, but it is because I need the reminder! We can do it, all of us! It's already inside us.

No comments:

Post a Comment