Sunday, March 14, 2010

St. Patrick's Day week

This is a weird week. We celebrate St. Patrick--patron saint of Ireland and the Archdiocese. As someone who is very proud of her Irish ancestry and legacy, I love to wear my green. I used to teach my 2nd graders about the trinity during this week--about how the Irish people didn't understand when Patrick told them that there are 3 persons in one God, and so he plucked a shamrock from the field and taught them how three things could exist in one. This Wednesday, I will wear my Gaelic football jersey with pride and raise a glass to my homeland among friends.

But, for the last9 years, St. Patrick's Day has also carried with it a heavy weight. My dear friend from college lost his twin brother to a drunk driver on St. Patrick's Day 2001. I still think of him often, especially because in the days following his death, we were able to read some of his writing--a window into his heart and soul. I copied down a paragraph he'd titled "Statement of Life Aspirations" and I carry it with me from place to place. Never before had I seen such a clear articulation of my own goals and desires. And finally, I am closer than I've ever been to living them.

"to touch the life of a person, to help them see the world in a better light, to enable them to live a fuller, more productive life; i would like to do something like this. i am searching for a profession that will enable me to inspire, to help, to enlighten, to leave my mark on the human race. i will live a full and vibrant life, doing whatever i see fit, not conforming, not rejecting...my life will belong to me and it will be great not for the fame and fortune i receive, but for the lives i help change an the happiness i achieve."
~~c.a.h.~~

No comments:

Post a Comment