Saturday, March 27, 2010

one more week...

...of Lent that is. A week from tomorrow (today, technically) is Easter Sunday. I'm trying to figure out what I've learned from this Lenten practice. There are some days that I'm proud of what I wrote, while others got very little of my attention and focus. The lesson is that probably, going forward, I'll come up with an idea for an entry and spend a few days building it instead of rushing to write something every day.

But more importantly and more to the point, I think I realized that, for me, writing has become a social activity and I find it difficult when I'm alone. For 4 years, I wrote almost exclusively in the presence of others. There was an energy in the room, a buzz of productivity and creativity. When I'm alone in my apartment, I cannot recreate that environment. Even when I am writing something to share with my teleclass, something I know will turn into a social activity, I can't find a rhythm or a groove. Maybe practice will help? I've forced myself to write something on this page almost every day for the last 5 weeks, even if it is at 1 A.M. when I'm supposed to be sleeping...

Which it is, and I am. More tomorrow, I hope, if I don't break or sprain something playing in my first basketball game.

No comments:

Post a Comment